Find It

Saturday, October 23, 2010

MHG: Thermometer

MHG = Must Have Gadget

I don't have a professional chef's kitchen, though the mere thought of it makes me salivate. I don't even have all the "must haves" that I want. But I'll write about some of the items I think will change your cooking life. These are great ideas for showers and housewarmings, too.

Digital Instant Read Thermometer

This little gem has saved me so many times, particularly when grilling. I used to have the wired kind where you set the target temp and let it alert you, but I found it clunky, annoying and the wire was too short. When I married, my husband and I merged our kitchen accoutrements and he had a small metal thermometer (like my mom had, but smaller face). It was okay, but very inaccurate because you could never tell if it read 130 or 150, and when you're cooking a steak, that's the difference between medium rare and well done. I switched to a cheapo digital instant-read and it's been bliss ever since.

I have alluded to my frugality before, so I don't really care what brand you have. You can calibrate it by putting it into boiling water. It should read 212 F / 100 C (thanks 3rd grade science). If you find yours runs high or low, just mentally adjust your cooking.

This is particularly wonderful when grilling where temperatures vary. Since buying this handy gadget, I've never served an overcooked steak or burger and I've never overcooked a chicken breast or pork chop -- both of which have a sensitive, narrow window for cooking well.

Spend the 10-15 dollars. You'll get a return on your investment after one perfectly cooked protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment