Find It

Friday, November 12, 2010

How To: Boil an Egg

Yes, you can screw this up.   I know.  I have.  As a teenager, I learned about hard-boiling eggs the hard way.  I got preoccupied and I let the water evaporate.  The eggs exploded.  There were shells and whites everywhere.  Fortunately, I know better now.

First, this is a good thing to do when your eggs are nearing expiration.  Some say that an older egg is easier to peel, but I don't know if that's true.  Hardboiled eggs are tasty with salt, on a salad, or even in some casseroles.  You can make deviled eggs with the ones that peel nicely, and egg salad with the ones that don't.

First, start with cool tap water.  Don't try to speed up the process by using hot water.  You have to temper the eggs.  Fill a large pot half way and add the eggs to the water.  You won't have to worry about being so gentle or cracking raw eggs by sequencing it like this.

Put pot on stove over high heat and bring to a boil. Then cover with a lid, turn off heat and let them sit for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, drain the pot and run cool tap water over the eggs for 3-4 minutes to cool them.  Peel and use them as you wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment