Find It

Monday, September 19, 2011

Easy Crusty Bread

I learned how to bake this bread when I took a class on no-knead breads.  It made me go out and buy an enamel coated cast iron dutch oven.  By the by, Le Creuset is the most popular brand of these pots, but cast iron is cast iron.  So I bought the Food Network brand from Kohl's and saved a bundle.  And in this case, it's even nicer because my cheaper version has a metal handle, so I don't have to remove it for this recipe.  If your handle is plastic, remove it an stuff the hole with aluminum foil.  I served mine with honey butter.... yum.


Ingredients
3 c bread flour
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp instant active dry yeast
1 1/2 c cool (55-65 degrees F) water

Non-standard supplies
Enamel cast iron dutch oven and lid
Parchment paper

Instructions
  1. In a bowl, mix flour, salt and yeast
  2. Stir in water.  It should be very sticky, and if it isn't add 1-3 tbsp water
  3. Cover bowl and store in a room around 72 degrees for 12-18 hours  (longer is better);  dough will more than double and be dotted with bubbles
  4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment and flour generously
  5. Use a rubber spatula to transfer dough to parchment in one piece
  6. Using the spatula, turn the edges toward the center trying to get the dough in more of a ball shape (not as flat as it was), yes, you will lose a lot of volume as the bubbles pop
  7. Dust top lightly with flour and place a non-terry cloth towel over dough
  8. Allow dough to rise again for 90 min
  9. Preheat oven to 450 and place dutch oven and lid in the oven to get hot for 30 min
  10. Carefully transfer parchment and dough to the pot and cover
  11. Bake covered for 30 min
  12. Remove lid and bake until crust is deep brown, but not burned  (10-20 min)
  13. Allow to cool before cutting, and use a bread knife when the time comes


1 comment:

  1. I didn't know this blog existed! I'm adding it to My Favorites and trying this recipe - I have the TJ Maxx knock off enamel cast iron dutch oven. Happy Birthday, Bill!

    ReplyDelete