Find It

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

MHG: Stand Mixer

MHG = Must Have Gadget

I don't have a professional chef's kitchen, though the mere thought of it makes me salivate. I don't even have all the "must haves" that I want. But I'll write about some of the items I think will change your cooking life. These are great ideas for showers and housewarmings, too.

Stand Mixer

I own the basic version of Kitchen Aid's traditional stand mixer - the 5 qt Artisan.  It wasn't cheap, but I've had it for several years and expect to have it for, perhaps forever?  They run about $300 retail, but get yourself a big blue Bed Bath & Beyond coupon for 20% off.  

First, come to grips that you won't use  this every day.  You may not even use it every month.  I don't bake that much, but if you do, don't wait.  Go get one.  Now.  There are attachments you can buy to turn your mixer into a multi-functional tool.  After all, the motor is a beast, might as well use it.  (I asked my husband for the attachment to make homemade ice cream.  If I get it for Christmas, you can be sure I'll  post about some experiments.)  In spite of not using it as often as you might think it needs to be at that cost, you will find that a stand mixer (any brand) makes making batters so much easier.  You don't have to stand over the bowl.  You don't get as much splatter.  You don't have to get your hands as messy.  

You can use the stand mixer for savory foods too, like when you mix ingredients for meatballs or when you knead dough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment