Find It

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Purveyors

I've been on a quest to find a local (or semi-local) fishmonger.  Living in the midwest, this is difficult.  I want to be able to buy lump crab that was never canned.  I want to be able to get lobster claws, or shells for stock.  My husband lived in Maryland for a while and it'd be nice to have a crab boil.

I have found other vendors that please me to no end - but if you find a good fish place, let me know.

Mushrooms
I love them.  River Valley Kitchens makes an appearance at many local markets and specialty shops but you really should go in person sometime.  They have a cute shop in Burlington, WI and if you go, be sure to get the mushroom swiss brats - they're in the freezer case. Honestly, they're scrumptious.   Their shop isn't all that far from Lake Geneva, so I tend to head over there to feel better about driving so far for a single store.  They have an online shop, so don't feel left out if you are not from the area.  I also recommend the 5 cheese garlic spread.  It's delicious on crackers or baked onto french bread or a pretzel roll.

Spices
I love love love The Spice House.  They have numerous sites and an online store as well.  If you get the chance, though, visit the Evanston location. (I'll explain why Evanston in a moment).  Growing up in a house where "garlic salt" was the most exotic spice in the house, I had no idea so many options exist!  You can taste them all.  I highly recommend the smoky paprika and Chicago steak seasoning.  Get freeze-dried corn for a sweet healthy treat.  The best part of this place is you can choose any quantity.  You can buy saffron by the thread.  You can try new things or find those exotic spices that keep you from making that recipe you think will be sinful.

Breads
I said go to the Evanston location of the Spice House because there's a nearby Great Harvest Bread Co.  This is a chain, but they aren't every corner like Starbucks.  I've only ever been in the morning, which is a shame, because at that time of day I don't want a sandwich.  They make sandwiches though, and knowing how good the bread is, I have to believe the sandwich is equally good.  I recommend the Pesto Asiago bread.  It's best when you eat it warm -- which is why I show up in the morning.  My husband is a fan of their giant lemon bars, too.  They will allow you to sample the breads, so you can know what you're getting before you buy.  They also have a rewards program.

Sweet Corn
Undoubtedly, the  best corn I've ever had is Mirai corn grown by Twin Garden Farms.  They, too, will ship from their online store when in season.  But they make appearances at local farmers markets, too.  This corn is sweet and crisp every time.  You don't need to cook it, per se, but rather just  heat it.  I put mine in boiling water for 3 minutes and it's perfect.  Several times I've skipped a real meal to have a few ears of this corn as a meal instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment